Tuesday, June 26, 2007

An unpolitical moment in politics.

From a diary at DailyKos, Elizabeth Edwards confronts Ann Coulter:

I've tried to look at this in terms of the politics, but I can't. I don't think it's political at all. Says Edwards:

EE: You wrote a column a couple years ago which made fun of the moment of Charlie Dean's death, and suggested that my husband had a bumper sticker on the back of his car that said ask me about my dead son. This is not legitimate political dialogue.

AC: That's now three years ago -

EE: It debases political dialogue. It drives people away from the process. We can't have a debate about issues if you're using this kind of language. . . .

EE: I'm making this call as a mother. I'm the mother of that boy who died. My children participate - these young people behind you are the age of my children. You're asking them to participate in a dialogue that's based on hatefulness and ugliness instead of on the issues, and I don't think that's serving them or this country very well.

She's class personified.

Otherwise, the parents of the otherwise lovely blonde standing behind Ann Coulter, the one with the expression of disgust that says, "Elizabeth Edwards is so uncool," I'm sure they're proud of their daughter today.