Tuesday, June 05, 2007

The driven snow has nothing on me.

Tondee's Tavern, Blog for Democracy, and Atlanta Public Affairs have all drawn similar conclusions about Dale Cardwell, none of them good.

Reading his defenders in the comments, I've got to say: there's a difference between a candidate who speaks to the hopes of the working class and a candidate who speaks to their fears. Given the pathetic nature of the debate on immigration, I would welcome a candidate who said that we live in a wealthy nation, that there is enough work for everyone to live well, and that we should work toward that goal. But when Cardwell attacks immigrants for the high crime of crossing the border to work, he's not speaking to those hopes.

I like to think I'm a realist, and I know we live in Georgia, so I don't expect a candidate who, say, supports an open border, or an amnesty, or anything similar. I'm not sure about those myself. But I do expect a candidate to recognize that current immigration policy harms everyone, and to speak against efforts to demonize any of its victims.