Saturday, July 19, 2003

My Rep, John Lewis, on same-sex marriage.

At some point in the recent past, I got a note from a mailing list telling me to write my elected officials and ask them to oppose the Federal Marriage Amendment. I figured it'd be of little use, but why not? Better than not sending one at all.

Today, I got a form letter from my representative, John Lewis. This brightened my day:

I will not turn my back on another American nor oppress my fellow human being. I have fought too hard and too long against discrimination based on race and color not to stand up against discrimination based on sexual orientation. Every individual is endowed with fundamental rights as stated in the Preamble of the Delcaration of Independence. This amendment denies gay men and women the right to liberty and the persuit of happiness. Marriage is a basic human right. You cannot tell people they cannot fall in love. If two individuals love each other and want to express their love and commitment by becoming married, they must have the right to do so. Therefore, I support of the marriage of gay and lesbian couples and will oppose H. J. RES. 56 [The Federal Marriage Amendment].

Of course, I knew he'd opposed the Defense of Marriage Act, but it's nice to hear that his dedication to civil rights hasn't changed.